The Role of the CMP Approved Sponsor
The CMP began operation on July 1, 1994, and relies on RID Approved Sponsors to provide and approve appropriate educational activities for participants. These activities can be group activities, such as workshops, lectures or conferences, or independent study activities, such as mentoring and self-study. They help maintain the integrity of the CMP and ensure that interpreters have ample and varied opportunities to learn, grow and further develop their skills.
Organizations, agencies, affiliate chapters and individuals seeking to be Approved Sponsors must complete an application. This was developed by the RID Professional Development Committee (PDC). In addition, the PDC reviews and makes determinations on all applications.
Sponsors are monitored regularly to ensure that their activities are of high quality and meet the needs of the program and the participants. If you would like to make a comment or ask a question regarding a sponsor, send an e-mail to the Professional Development Manager at RID Headquarters.
Sponsors are responsible for:
- Paying the yearly Sponsor fee:
- Organizations pay $350
- RID Affiliate Chapters pay $225
- Individuals pay $175
- Offering, endorsing and ensuring the quality and educational integrity of activities offered for RID CEUs. CMP Sponsors have the right to deny sponsorship of an activity if it lacks valid educational outcomes or measurable and observable learning objectives.
- Ensuring that they and their agents avoid conflicts of interest, which includes a continuing education administrator monitoring his or her own Independent Study activities.
- Maintaining membership in RID at the appropriate level for the duration of their Approved CMP Sponsor status.
- Deciding if they want to charge a fee for processing RID CEUs.
Sponsor Benefits and Resources
- A Google group for sponsors where you can discuss situations, ask for opinions and give feedback with other sponsors.
- Access to CMP Sponsor-only features when you log into your account, including online form submission.
- The CMP Standards & Criteria (pdf), which contains a detailed description of CMP policies.
- Online listing in the RID searchable database of CMP Sponsors so that members can quickly and easily find a CMP Sponsor.
- CMP Sponsors receive a quarterly complimentary copy of RID’s newsletter, VIEWS, and the annual publication, The Journal of Interpretation.