Interpreter I-V / Certified
Salary: $35.00 - $65.00 Hourly
Job Type: Part Time
Job Number: 23-054
Location: Both Liberal Arts Campus & Pacific Coast Campus, CA
Department: Human Resources
Type of position: Hourly/On-Call as needed
LEVELS I-V/Certified: $35.00 - $65.00 Hourly
Level I - $35.00 / hr
Level II - $45.00 / hr
Level III - $50.00 /hr
Level IV - $55.00 / hr
Level V - $60.00 / hr
Certified Interpreter - $65.00/hr
*Applications will be continually accepted*
Long Beach Community College District is seeking qualified individuals for Interpreter positions with experience levels ranging from a Level I Interpreter with emergent proficiency in ASL to a Level V Interpreter with the highest fluency in ASL. In addition, the college is also seeking Certified Interpreters possessing a Registry of Interpreters of the Deaf (RID) Certification or a National Association of the Deaf (NAD) IV certification. Incumbents, under general supervision, will act as an interpreter/transliterator for deaf or hard-of-hearing students for all classroom-related and college sanctioned activities, using a variety of manual and verbal communication systems, with the ability to clearly and accurately present information and foster successful inclusion and interaction between the student, instructors, and classmates.
All levels of Interpreters must have a high school diploma or equivalent and completion of an interpreter training/educational program or its equivalent is highly desirable. The required years of experience are as follows: Level I - six months, Level II - one year, Level III - three years, Level IV - four years, Level V - five years, and Certified Interpreters - five years and required licensing/certification listed above. If this describes you, we encourage you to apply for the opportunity to join the innovative and talented Long Beach City College team. Go Vikings!
AT-A-GLANCE POSITION ASSIGNMENT INFORMATION
All Long Beach Community College employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in compliance with District Policy. Please note that if selected for employment, you must provide proof of fully vaccinated status by date of hire. Documented proof of vaccination is required as part of the onboarding process. Individuals requesting accommodation must do so in a timely manner for consideration.
For further information on the position or application process, please contact (562) 938-4710.
ABOUT LONG BEACH CITY COLLEGE:
Here at Long Beach City College (LBCC), we celebrate equity, diversity and are committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity. We strive to ensure a positive and inclusive working environment for all. Long Beach City College is committed to providing equitable student learning and achievement, academic excellence, and workforce development by delivering high quality educational programs and support services to our diverse communities. Please check out the LBCC mission and values and other strategic initiatives below to learn more.
Under general supervision acts as an interpreter/transliterator for deaf or hard-of-hearing students for all classroom-related and college sanctioned activities, using a variety of manual and verbal communication systems, with the ability to clearly and accurately present information and foster successful inclusion and interaction between the student, instructors, and classmates.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS FOR THIS POSITION:
Education, Training and Experience:
Interpreter I-V and Certified Interpreters must possess a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Interpreter I: Emergent proficiency in ASL or other sign modalities; six (6) months paid or volunteer interpreting experience.
- Interpreter II: Proficiency in ASL or other sign modalities; one (1) year interpreting experience.
- Interpreter III: Fluency in interpreting and or transliterating; three (3) years interpreting experience.
- Interpreter IV: Strong Fluency in ASL and other student/faculty preferred signing modalities as needed; four (4) years interpreting experience.
- Interpreter V: Highest fluency in ASL and other student/faculty preferred signing modalities as needed; five (5) years interpreting experience.
- Certified Interpreter: Highest fluency in ASL and other student/faculty preferred signing modalities as needed; five (5) years interpreting experience; Registry of Interpreters of the Deaf (RID) Certification or a National Association of the Deaf (NAD) IV certification.
Licenses; Certificates; Special Requirements:
- Requires a valid driver's license and the ability to maintain insurability under the District's vehicle insurance policy. Certified Interpreters required certification: Registry of Interpreters of the Deaf (RID) Certification or a National Association of the Deaf (NAD) IV certification.
- Meeting the minimum requirements of the position does not guarantee advancement in the selection process. Candidate qualifications will be assessed to determine those who meet and exceed requirements, and are deemed most competitive amongst the applicant pool to proceed.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS:
To be considered a candidate for this position, all materials required should be received by the Long Beach City College Office of Human Resources by the closing date. Incomplete or late applications will be disqualified from further consideration. Qualified candidates will be notified in writing if they are moving forward in the selection process.
- Submit a completed online application through NEOGOV. All portions of the application must be entirely filled out to be considered for this position.
- If the position requires a college degree, transcripts or copy of a diploma, the required document must be attached at the time of application. Unofficial transcripts are accepted during this phase. For experience substitution in lieu of education, please make sure to attach a statement clearly outlining how your additional experience covers the education requirement, on a year-for-year basis, and qualifies you to be considered for this position.
The following selection process may include the following:
- Subject Matter Expert (SME) Application Review: (Pass/Fail)
- ASL skills Assessment and/or Recorded Video Submittal: (Pass/Fail)
- Final selection will be determined by the Hiring Authority
*** PLEASE NOTE: The District reserves the right to utilize a flexible pass point (cut-off score) on any test part, and/or modify any test part. Examination procedures are subject to change as deemed necessary by the Executive Director, Classified Human Resources.***
If you require special accommodations in the Application, Testing, Interview or Selection Process, you are required to notify the Human Resources Office at least two days prior to the closing date of the posting, by calling (562) 938-4352.
LONG BEACH COMMUNITY COLLEGE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Long Beach Community College District is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and equity-minded hiring practices. It is the District's policy to ensure that all qualified applicants for employment and employees have full and equal access to employment opportunities and are not subject to discrimination in any program or activity of the District on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, gender, color, language, accent, citizenship status, ancestry, national origin, age, sex, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, parental status, marital status, veteran status, physical or mental disability or medical condition, or on the basis of these perceived characteristics.
Ancestral Land Acknowledgement
Long Beach City College acknowledges our presence on the traditional ancestral land of the Gabrielino/Tongva peoples. This land remains unceded territory. We acknowledge the painful history of genocide and forced removal from this territory. Long Beach City College honors and respects the Gabrielino/Tongva ancestors and their connection to this land.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/4188281