The RID Certification Committee advises the RID Board of Directors by recommending policies and standards related to the RID Certification system.
Reports to: RID Board of Directors
Board Liaison: Brenda Sellers
- Danny Maffia (Chair)
- Antwan Campbell
- Rebecca DeSantis
- Whitney Gissell
- Andrea K. Smith
- Ashley Holladay (Staff Liaison)
Frequency of Reports: Monthly
Cumulative report: March 2019, March 2021
For the term 2017-2019, the RID Certification Committee members are charged to complete the following tasks:
- Element #1: Develop guidelines for recognizing credentials from entities other than RID.
- (CM 2007.04) Develop a set of guidelines for including membership and/or conferring of certified status, individuals who hold credentials from any entity other than RID; that these guidelines be approved by majority vote of the certified membership of RID; and that RID wait until the implementation of these guidelines prior to entering into further discussion, agreements, contracts or in any way incorporating non-RID certificates into our organization.
- Provide recommendations to the RID Board. Recommendations are provided to the Board via the Board liaison.
- Explore options for granting specialty certification in legal, medical and other areas of practice.
- Explore the concept of a portfolio for recognizing specialty credentials.
- Provide recommendations to the Board for accepting specialty certification
- Element #2: Recommend to the Board requirements for granting RID generalist certification
- Explore what requirements must be met in addition to a passing score of a CASLI administered generalist exam to be granted National Interpreter Certification (NIC) and Certified Deaf Interpreter (CDI).
- Determine if the current degree requirement should be a certification requirement or a testing requirement.
- Determine if an affirmation of adherence to the Code of Professional Conduct, hours of training, or other requirements must be met for granting of certification.