Don’t be overwhelmed by the process of hiring an interpreter! Let RID help!

As the hiring entity, you have the option to hire individuals directly or through an interpreter service agency. To begin your search, go to our searchable database and search by city and/or state. Not all interpreters and/or agencies are RID members and, as a result, may not be listed. If you have difficulty finding a resource in your area, please contact us.

For a nominal charge, specially tailored member searches can be ordered – contact or (703) 838-0030, option #. RID’s VP number is (571) 384-5163.

If you are seeking resources for particular guidelines on hiring interpreters for certain communication settings, please click here to access RID’s standard practice papers. These documents outline standard practices and positions on various interpreting roles and issues. They are an excellent resource to educate all interpreters, hearing and deaf clients, the general public, business contacts, school personnel, doctors and nurses, etc.

Member Directory
Use the search tool to find contact information for a specific member, verify an RID member’s certification(s) and search for freelance interpreters using specific credentials for your assignment. For example, if you need a certified member who has their legal certification in your city, this is the search tool to use.
Interpreter Agency/Referral Service Directory

Use this search tool to find local interpreter referral agencies for upcoming assignments you have. This is also a great tool to hire an agency for a contract. When working with an agency, you do not directly contact interpreters. Instead, the agency does the work for you and matches a working interpreter to your specific assignment.

As a non-profit membership association, RID and its affiliate chapters are not allowed by federal law to give advice as to salary and/or hourly rates. Rates for interpreters are market driven, vary greatly by region, and are negotiated between the individual or agency and the hirer.

RID and its affiliate chapters also do not give advice as to accessibility issues, such as the Americans with Disability Act (ADA). You should directly contact the U.S. Department of Justice and the ADA Office or other government agencies that oversee access. For an additional informational resource, please look at this National Association of the Deaf web page on Legal Rights.