- Affiliation with national interpreter advocacy actions
- Representation for the affiliate chapter’s members for various national issues (i.e. VRS via the Video Interpreting Committee)
- Access to support through RID’s online Yahoo group for chapter presidents.
- Access to the staff at the RID national office as a resource on various issues
- Access to RID committees that can assist with a variety of issues – specifically the Affiliate Chapter Relations Committee, Bylaws Committee, Video Interpreting Committee, Scholarships and Awards Committee and Cultural Diversity in Leadership Committee do direct work with the affiliate chapters
- Letters of support – Examples:
- ITP in PA threatened to close program
- Nevada Department of Education wanted to exclude interpreters in the educational setting from the state’s law
- National representation during testifying on state laws affecting interpreting
- Ability to join RID’s group exemption to get 501-(c)3 non-profit status
Resources and Information
- Eligible for grants through RID, such as the mentoring grants awarded to affiliate chapters.
- Access to RID’s member contact information (chapters get a set of labels of RID members in their state free of charge – one per quarter).
- Referrals from RID for members to join your chapter (members must be a member of an affiliate chapter in order to vote on the national level).
- Access to valuable resources you can use for running your organization such as the Affiliate Chapter Handbook.
- Involvement with affiliate chapter presidents who make up the primary contact group for the board and national office via a region representative – news regarding national issues is distributed through these channels