“Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.”
– Peter F. Drucker
Starting a new affiliate chapter takes leadership, organization and determination but know that you are not alone in this endeavor. Among other benefits, in this venture, you will have the support of the RID Board of Directors, RID Headquarters and the members of the Affiliate Chapter Relations Committee.
Following are the steps to take to start an affiliate chapter:
- Organize a group of at least twenty voting members of RID desiring to start an affiliate chapter.
- Assign a leader or small group of leaders to spearhead the effort. This person or group would be in charge of compiling the necessary information for the application for affiliation, which must include the following:
- A list of at least twenty voting members of RID.
- A copy of the chapter’s bylaws
- A list of the names and contact information for the chapter’s officers
- A copy of the chapter’s Articles of Incorporation (if applicable)
- A copy of the chapter’s Standing Rules or Rules of Order (if chapter has same)
- The affiliate application package, once complete, must be sent to the director of member services at RID Headquarters.
- The director of member services will verify that all the petitioners are RID voting members in good standing.
- The director of member services will act as the liaison to the board of directors by presenting the package to the board.
- Once the board of directors formally approves or declines chapter status, the director of member services will notify the contact person from that potential chapter.
- At that time, the chapter will be considered affiliated with RID.
BENEFITS: The benefits of being affiliated with RID include a support system comprised of national committees, staff and other affiliate chapter leaders; resources including a comprehensive handbook, mentoring grants and membership information and access to non-profit status through RID’s group exemption.