DeafBlind Member Section
The purpose of the RID DeafBlind Member Section (DBMS) is to act as a national resource for interpreters, consumers and families regarding interpreting needs for individuals who are DeafBlind.
DBMS maintains a listserv open to all RID members and DeafBlind individuals. Members are invited to share information and events related to interpreting for DeafBlind individuals. The list is maintained by Mala Poe and is carefully moderated to include only pertinent, professional posts. Average number of posts has historically been less than one per week. Subscribe at http://tr.wou.edu/CGI-BIN/WA.CGI?A0=RID_DBMS.
Chair: Joan Pellerin
Vice-Chair: Bob LoParo
Secretary: Jesie Stephenson
Treasurer: Candace Steffen Strayer
Region I: Regan Thibodeau
Region II: Bianca Perez
Region III: Barbara Martin
Region IV: Tyler Reisnaur
Region V: Shelley Herbold
Communications: CM Hall
Networking: Connect interested parties on the local, regional and national levels.
- Host social event for interpreters and consumers during RID national conference.
- Maintain regional representation on IDB Member Section committee.
- Create and maintain online listserv to facilitate communication between interested parties
across the country.
Resource: Provide publications, journal articles and educational materials to interested parties
throughout the country.
- Provide DB-LINK (national clearinghouse on DeafBlindness) with updates regarding
training events, new publications, conferences, etc.
- Submit articles and on-going IDB column in RID VIEWS on DeafBlind related topics.
- Maintain nationwide list of DeafBlind consumers who are qualified speakers/trainers.
Professional Development: Provide professional development opportunities to enhance the skills and knowledge of interpreters and interested parties.
- Provide training during RID national and regional conferences on DeafBlind related topics.
- Create calendar of events for various training opportunities.
- Compile list of qualified trainers in DeafBlindness.
Liaison: Liaise between RID, AADB, NAD DB-LINK, HKNC and state DeafBlind consumer groups.
- Act as main liaison and contact for the RID-AADB National Task Force.
Mentoring: Provide mentoring to new and seasoned professionals in the field of interpreting in order to
increase the number of qualified interpreters for individuals who are DeafBlind.
- Design and implement mentoring program for CEUs in association with the AADB
Advocate: Act as an advocate for communication access for all individuals who are DeafBlind.
- Advertise contact information so that interpreters, consumers and families can reach the
IDB Member Section as the need arises.
The DBMS Needs YOU!
We are currently developing a plan to host state-by-state and regional trainings to prepare interpreters to work with DeafBlind consumers. Each of the DBMS Region Reps is looking for a go-getter in each state who is ready, willing and able to work toward bringing our training to YOUR back yard. Please contact your DBMS Region Rep (see list above) if you’re a well-qualified interpreter who is willing to champion our cause in your state.
LOOK FOR A DBMS-SPONSORED TRAINING NEAR YOU!
The DBMS Thanks the following donors:
- Jill Gaus and Susie Morgan Morrow for not only presenting three fabulous workshops on working with DB people at the RID Conference in Atlanta, but also for allowing the DBMS to hold raffles and a silent auction during those workshops.
- DBTip (DeafBlind Training, Interpreting & Professional Development) for donating an online training for our online raffle.
- Silent Auction Donors:
Helen Keller National Center
The CATIE Center
Andre Pellerin, an artist who is DeafBlind
The Crazy Quilters, artists who are Deaf