Interpreters in Healthcare Member Section
The mission of the Interpreters in Healthcare Member Section is four-fold: to foster communication and encourage information sharing among Deaf and hearing members of RID who workin the healthcare field; to provide input to RID about issues pertaining to this specialized field of interpreting; to network and foster a support system for those in the specialty; and most importantly to promote and enhance language access in healthcare across the country.
Join today! If you are interested in joining the members section please send an email and head over to RID.org, click on the “manage your profile” link and add on the Interpreters in Healthcare Member Section to your “RID sections” (at the bottom of the profile page).
Chair: Danielle Davoli
Vice Chair: Amanda David
Region I: LaTanya Jones
Region II: Nayshunda Burke
Region III: Catherine Mosher
Region IV: Tara Von Walden
Region V: currently vacant
- To hold forums at RID conferences.
- To advise the membership, Board of Directors, and the National Office on issues pertaining to members of the Interpreters in Healthcare Settings Member Section.
- To be involved with the revision and development of any and all current and future Standard Practice Papers regarding healthcare interpreting and to ensure they accurately reflect our practice.
- To recommend programs, activities and policies to the membership, Board of Directors, the National Office and RID national committees that are in the interests of members of the Interpreters in Healthcare Settings Member Section.
- To act as a resource to standing and ad hoc committees on issues that pertain to members of the Interpreters in Healthcare Settings Member Section.
- Stay current in the field by disseminating information to members of the Interpreters in Healthcare Settings Member Section regarding organizational activities; current events in the field of healthcare interpreting, and healthcare at-large, including legal rulings and court cases.
- To encourage the active involvement of members of the Interpreters in Healthcare Settings Member Section within the healthcare field.
- To serve as a support system for the members working in the diverse healthcare field, providing needed resources to advocate for effective practices within the field.
- To promote and enhance language access for the consumers of interpreting
services, and to bridge the Deaf/hearing health literacy gap.
Format: Pre-recorded presentations, delivered via a NING portal, allowing participants to view the training from their individual computers. The presentations will then be opened for interactive discussion among members and presenters. Presenters will further facilitate the learning process through provision of articles or PowerPoint presentations related to the topic, provide discussion questions, and moderate a discussion board to the topic. Using the strength of a discussion based symposium, the third day will be facilitated participant-driven discussions of conference topics and themes.
Audience: Interpreters, Deaf and Hearing consumers, interpreter educators, vocational rehabilitation personnel, providers of video interpreting, interpreting researchers, and other interested persons.