View this job listing in ASL here!
General Position Description
Effectively interprets between American Sign Language, signed languages, and atypical language to fulfill the mission of Perspectives Corporation; this may include but is not limited to interpreting for individuals receiving services, employees, management and clinical teams, community members, and stakeholders in a variety of settings. Interpreters will translate and caption materials as needed. In addition, interpreters will advocate for interpreting needs, and be knowledgeable of best practices in the field. ASL Interpreters will adhere to and follow the NAD-RID Professional Code of Conduct.
- High School Diploma or equivalent and three consistent years working as a sign language interpreter.
- Must hold a certificate in sign language interpretation from the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf, Inc., Board of Evaluators for Interpreters (BEI Level III Intermediary, Level IV Intermediary, Level V Intermediary), or a valid Massachusetts State Screening.
- Must also have (or be eligible for) a certified/screened license issued by the RI Board of Examiners for the Deaf through the RI Department of Health and must maintain such certifications as a condition of employment.
- Must be able to maintain a flexible work schedule and have the ability to work virtually and travel throughout Rhode Island.
- Knowledge of technology, e-mail, smart devices, accessible technology, etc.
- Must be comfortable interpreting for a wide range of consumers, including and/or Pro-Tactile sign language, neurodivergent, and disabled individuals.
- Possess a strong understanding and cultural humility in regard to diversity, Deaf, LGBTQIA+, neurodivergent, and disabled communities.
- Must be able to translate frozen texts to a digital platform.
- Post-secondary degree preferred.
- Ability to be a self-starter.
- Must have good judgment with the ability to effectively problem solve.
- Must have well-developed interpersonal and communication skills.
- Have the ability to thrive in a challenging and creative working environment.
- Willing to provide mentorship opportunities where applicable.
- Familiar with open-process interpreting and willingness to participate in supervision with colleagues.
Physical Requirements of the Position:
While performing the duties of the job, the employee may be required to sit or stand for extended periods of time.
- Communication, Professionalism, Teamwork & Collaboration
- Works Independently and Prioritizes
- Policies, Procedures, and Rules Compliance
- Professional Development
- Consecutive Interpreting
- Frozen Text Translation
- Simultaneous Interpreting
- Deaf/Hearing Team Interpreting
- Specialize in atypical language interpreting as well as mental/behavioral health interpreting
Equal Opportunity Employer/Vet/Disabled
Perspectives Corporation is an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.