POSITION: Communications and Production Coordinator (Exempt)
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time, salaried (with benefits)
SUPERVISOR: Senior Director of Programs and Services
SUMMARY: The Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf, Inc. (RID), a national membership organization, seeks a Communications and Production Coordinator to work with the communications department to develop, edit, coordinate and produce internal and external material, written and filmed. This person is charged with video production, including editing and distribution, as well as supports the department in preparing outgoing written content including editing for the quarterly magazine, VIEWS, and acting as a copy editor and coordinator for material published through RID Press in order to support the goals and strategic plans established.
ABOUT RID: RID was established in 1964 and incorporated in 1972 as a 501 (c)(3) non-profit membership organization promoting the welfare and growth of individual interpreters as well as the profession of interpretation of American Sign Language and English and transliteration of English. RID Headquarters is located at 333 Commerce Street, Alexandria, Virginia 22314.
JOB QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
This position requires a high degree of integrity, attention to detail, accuracy, independent decision-making, and the ability to interact and work well within a team environment. Other qualifications include:
- Demonstrated organizational and project management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and editing skills
- Knowledge of American Sign Language is required
- Able to organize and prioritize multiple and complex projects and tasks
- Proven diplomacy skills and commitment to customer service
- Strong communication skills; articulate and concise
- Strong written and interpersonal skills
- Ability to multi-task with accuracy and speed, as well as meet deadlines
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products (especially Excel and Word)
- Maintain professional and positive demeanor
- Proven accuracy and attention to detail
- Capable of setting priorities when multiple demands are present
- Knowledge of APA style preferred
- Experience in publishing, editing, marketing and public relations
- Experience with WordPress
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, especially Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere, and Acrobat (if no experience with Premiere, then iMovie is an acceptable substitute)
- Experience with Issuu
- Experience in publishing, writing, editing, video editing, marketing, public relations, & targeted communications.
COMMUNICATIONS: Communications and Production Coordinator works with Communications Manager and Director of Communications to:
- Write, edit and proof internal and external communication, written and filmed
- Provide copy editing for RID’s quarterly magazine, VIEWS
- Provide copy editing and project management for materials related to the RID Press publishing arm
- Edit and manage web-based content including website and blogs/vlogs
- Work as a in-house designer or with outside contractors on layout and design for publications
- Take an active role in social media, marketing and PR
- Successfully work with all departments to disseminate a variety of information to membership and stakeholder organizations
PRODUCTIONS: Communications and Production Coordinator will coordinate all filming for vlogs published through RID’s YouTube page and shared through a variety of social media sites including, but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter and Google+. As the primary coordinator and producer for all filmed material, you will be responsible to:
- Work with Senior Director of Programs and Services, Executive Director (and/or other film subjects) on content development
- Film and operate necessary equipment
- Edit and caption all filmed content
- Coordinate with communications team on distribution plan, in-line with the overall social media strategy
- Provide feedback on filming topics, location ideas, actors, policies
- Turn around content in a timely manner and against tight deadlines
- Provide support, strategy development and implementation for all other filmed materials including at RID conferences
ADMINISTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES: Communications and Production Coordinator will also be responsible for providing support to the daily operations and needs of the organization pertaining to the needs of the communications department including:
- Handling information requests
- Member correspondence
- Grant copyright/reprint permission requests for RID publications
- Updating/managing web content
- Processing mailings
- Fielding various member-related questions
- Assisting all other aspects of the communications department
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience in non-profit associations preferred
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of two years related experience
How to apply:
You should submit:
- Cover letter
- 2 writing samples – can be an article you’ve written, an academic paper, a press release from a previous place of employment, or even a well-thought-out social media posting.
- You should also produce your cover letter in American Sign Language, upload to YouTube and set it to unlisted, and send us a link to the video.
All materials submitted will be kept strictly confidential.
This position works full-time at HQ in Alexandria, VA. Minimal travel required.
Please send your materials to Human Resources at email@example.com, by April 12, 2017.
The Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.