POSITION: Finance and Operations Manager
REPORTS TO: Director of Finance and Operations
The Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf, Inc, a non-profit professional association in Alexandria, Virginia, is looking for an individual with proven work experience encompassing the areas of non-profit accounting, finance and operations//facilities management to complement our team and contribute to the success of the organization. This position will be responsible for ensuring the timely completion of scheduled accounting work and manage the organization’s facilities and staff support systems. Basic fluency in ASL and a willingness to immersively learn and work in ASL are mandatory.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Finance and Operations Manager is responsible for the daily oversight of accounting, finance and operations work. The manager will also have direct supervision duties within the department. This position will be responsible for timely completion of both routine and critical department priorities and projects, working closely with the Director of Finance and Operations to meet organizational demands related to the timely completion of accounting workflows and financial reports, as well as managing the needs of the RID HQ building, staff support systems and tools, and the RID bookstore. The successful candidate will show demonstrated non-profit accounting, supervisory, and project management skills. Experience working with and supporting staff in a mixed site workplace – one with both full time remote employees and full time in-office staff – is also desired. Because this position balances a variety of competing responsibilities in a dynamic organizational environment, the ideal candidate will be a self-starter who values clear and proactive communication with colleagues, thinks outside the box for solutions, and commands a strong attention to detail. Most importantly, the ideal candidate will bring their “why” with them to the position, and demonstrate a commitment to service for both internal and external stakeholders.
In Finance and Accounting, the Manager will:
- Manage accounting work completion to ensure that deadlines are met for key weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual accounting and financial reporting activities
- Ensure that accounting policies are followed, and act as a layer of internal control and review for key accounting processes, including Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Cash Management, and Inventory
- Prepare financial materials and reports as requested
- Assist the Director of Finance in preparing for and conducting the organization’s annual audit, as well as filing annual federal, state, and local regulatory and tax filings by required deadlines
In Operations, the Manager will:
- Maintain and update documentation of all Operations-related policies and procedures
- Maintain the office in good working order, including the physical building, technology and computers, office furnishings and institute proactive management of all office machines and equipment (e.g., printer, copier, fax, mail machine, phone system, and videophones) according to the contracts and recommended maintenance/ replacement schedules
- Adhere to established budgets and oversee the capital systems maintenance and replacement schedule
- Manage the physical storage, organization, and selection of office supplies and tools available to support the staff, both on-site and remote
- Monitor and control for waste and demonstrate a commitment to source office consumables in a sustainable, environmentally conscious manner
- Monitor and proactively manage the contracts for all operations service vendors (shipping, landscaping, parking, custodial, etc.)
- Operate the RID Bookstore in an efficient and cost-effective manner, and maintain an organized and accurate inventory system
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Communication skills: RID is a Deaf-friendly, ASL work environment, and we require staff to have the ability to communicate in ASL.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, economics, business systems design, or a related field; Equivalent and relevant non-profit professional experience in lieu of a degree will be considered – military service also considered.
- Minimum of 4 years of combined nonprofit accounting and operations management experience; those who have obtained or will obtain CPA, CMA or bookkeeping certifications are highly encouraged to apply.
- Demonstrated proficiency in QuickBooks Non-Profit Enterprise, Microsoft CRM databases, Microsoft Office (especially Excel), Google Drive, Gmail, Asana, and Slack
- Basic IT troubleshooting ability required.
- Demonstrated integrity, tact, and good judgment in regard to handling confidential information and communicating with colleagues and organizational leadership.
- Strong business writing, time-managements, organizational and multitasking skills essential
- Flexibility and the ability to prioritize appropriately in an environment with evolving priorities is critical.
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of an interdisciplinary and diverse team; ability to take direction, commit to personal accountability, and meet strict deadlines.
Please send a cover letter of interest, and an updated resume via email, referencing “Finance Manager” in the subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org for confidential consideration. Application materials will be accepted for review through January 10, 2020.
This position is exempt and salary range begins at $60,000, commensurate with experience and skills.
RID offers excellent benefits, including, but not limited to: Medical/dental/vision/ life insurance; AFLAC; Flexible Spending; Retirement contribution matching; Generous paid annual, sick and personal leave plus all federal holidays off; Flexible work schedules and telework is available; EAP (Employee Assistance Program); Parking and transit subsidy.
The Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Find us online at www.rid.org.