Frequently Asked Questions


Below you'll find answers to our most commonly asked questions.

Frequently Asked Questions2024-04-17T20:22:56+00:00

Membership FAQs.

Questions for members or those interested in becoming a member.

Membership and Benefits

Organizations and agencies that support RID’s purposes and activities should fill out this application.2023-04-06T15:10:32+00:00

Visit the RID portal and sign up to become a member today!

Do you need to change your name as it is listed in our database? This is the form you need to complete.2023-04-06T14:59:41+00:00
Are you over the age of 55 and wish to submit proof of your age? This is the form you need to complete.2022-04-21T18:39:12+00:00
Are you joining or renewing your student membership and need to send proof that you are currently enrolled in an Interpreter Training/Education Program? This is the form you need to complete.2022-04-21T18:39:40+00:00
I’m late paying my member dues, am I able to still earn CEUs?2023-04-07T20:00:33+00:00

If you are late paying your membership dues, you are still able to earn CEUs. Please be aware of the membership requirement for maintaining certification – if you do not renew your membership by the deadline, your certification will be revoked. CEUs earned while your certification is revoked do not count toward the requirements for maintaining certification in the event that your certification is reinstated.

Can/Does RID provide health insurance?2023-04-06T15:08:23+00:00

At the 2011 RID Business meeting, members made and passed the following motion:

CM 2011.07
RID conduct a new feasibility study regarding group rate comprehensive health insurance options for members and  report back to the membership by the 2013 RID National Conference.

RID Headquarters (HQ) has researched the issue, and the determination is that we do not have the resources to provide comprehensive health insurance options for members.  Providing health insurance for our members would have meant that RID would have had to administer the program, including collecting premiums, as well as issue cards and policies.  In addition, RID is not the employer of its members, and this is a function usually performed by employers.

RID continues to get phone calls and emails regularly asking if we can/do provide health insurance for freelance interpreters.  Mr. Gary Meyer, who provides liability insurance for our members, also receives numerous calls every year inquiring about the same.

Since the original question arose during the 2011 Business meeting, the legal landscape has changed most significantly because of the introduction of the Affordable Care Act (ACA-Obamacare).

I forgot my member ID number, what should I do?2023-04-06T15:29:45+00:00

You can either call the Member Services Department at 571-384-5163  or email and make sure to verify your street address associated with the account you created in your request. Please do not attempt to create a new account.


How do I become a member?2023-04-06T15:41:08+00:00

Now that you have made the decision to join RID, please click here, and create an account. You will be able to create your profile and then choose a membership category that suits your needs.

How can my membership and Certification be verified by employers and consumers?2023-04-06T15:23:57+00:00

To verify your membership or certification, RID provides you with multiple options. The most accurate is our online directory which can be searched here:

Additionally, you can provide verification through the Credly service. They have multiple ways to verify including (hyper links, and mobile wallet options.) Lastly, if you are a Certified member of RID, you can download a verification letter directly from your member portal.

I forgot my account password, or did not receive my reset password email. What do I do?2023-04-06T15:34:39+00:00

To reset your password, please click on “Forgot Password” on the member login page. Follow the steps to reset your password.

If you did not receive the reset password email, please email as well as add as a trusted domain in your email settings.

How do I log into my online portal?2023-04-06T15:00:15+00:00

Go to and sign in using your member ID number and your password. If you do not remember your password, please use the provided password recovery tool.

How do I renew my membership?2023-07-12T20:03:56+00:00

After you log in to your online portal, click the tab at the top labeled My Orders. You can make your payment via all major credit card issuers. If you have any issues with paying by credit card online, please contact the Member Services department directly.

I’m a certified member and I’m late paying my dues. What do I do?2023-07-12T20:03:41+00:00

Certified members have until 7/31 to renew without penalty. Please be sure to submit your dues payment no later than 7/31 to avoid termination of your membership and certification. If your membership is expired beyond 7/31, please view further instructions here:

When does my membership expire?2023-04-06T15:38:40+00:00

All RID memberships run on our fiscal year which is July 1- June 30. If you are a Certified member of RID, you have until July 31st of each year to renew your membership before your Certification is in jeopardy of being revoked.

I am a student, how do I show proof when applying for a membership?2023-07-12T20:03:14+00:00

To provide documentation of your student status, please fill out the form here: Proof of Current Student Status Form.

I am no longer a student but am not a certified interpreter, what membership do I qualify for?2022-04-11T19:05:47+00:00

You qualify for an associate membership.

I did not receive my latest issue of VIEWS.2022-04-11T19:06:16+00:00

VIEWS is now an electronic publication, and the link is delivered to the email address that we have for you.  If you are not receiving this notification, first check your spam filters and various inboxes.  Then, please verify that the email address in your account is current and accurate, and that you have a current membership with RID. If you’ve done this, and still aren’t sure why you’re not getting the VIEWS (and other) notifications, contact the Communications Department for help with your request.

I would like to change my status from Certified to Certified: Inactive or Certified: Retired.2023-07-12T20:01:38+00:00

Certified: Inactive status is for certified members who are not currently interpreting. They are not required to meet the CEU requirements while on Certified: Inactive status. In order to maintain this status, Certified: Inactive dues must be paid annually and the certificant cannot be working as an interpreter. Click on the above link to submit your request to become Certified: Inactive.

Certified: Retired status is for certified members, age 55 or older, who are retiring from interpreting work. They are not required to meet the CEU requirements. In order to maintain this status, Certified: Retired dues must be paid annually and the certificant cannot be working as an interpreter. Click on the above link to submit your request to become Certified: Retired.

If you have any further questions or need assistance please contact the Professional Development department.

Why should I become a member of RID?2023-04-06T15:41:56+00:00

Joining the association of over 10,000 strong members is a great decision whether you are a supporter of the profession or a practicing interpreter. Please review our list of benefits to understand what benefits you will receive here:

How old do you have to be to be considered a senior member?2023-07-12T20:00:02+00:00

55 years young! Please submit the Proof of Age form here:

Certification FAQs.

Commonly asked questions regarding RID certification.

Popular questions about certification

I lost my certification due to failure to comply with the CEU requirement, what do I do?2023-04-07T19:57:51+00:00

…reinstatement may be requested via this form. Please note the following policies with regards to a request for reinstatement when certification has been revoked for failure to comply with the CEU requirement:

  • All reinstatement requests must be submitted via email to
  • The application will not be reviewed before payment is submitted. Upon receipt of completed application with all supporting documentation attached, the Certification Department will email instructions for submitting the payment online through your member portal.
  • Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. The effective reinstatement date will be the date the completed application is received.
  • Reinstatement is handled by the Certification department. For questions, please contact the Certification department at or 703-838-0030, option 6.
  • The processing time is 7-10 business days for reinstatement requests. (Note that RID’s processing time does not affect the “effective date”, which is the date that all of the requirements for reinstatement are received.)
  • The application must be signed and notarized.
  • Certifications can only be reinstated for a period of up to 24 months from the date of revocation.
  • Reinstatement is available once in a member’s lifetime.
  • Reinstatement of certification will result in a new certification cycle being added to the member’s account based on the date the reinstatement is approved. This will result in a gap in certification from the cycle end date to the reinstatement date. CEUs earned prior to the reinstatement date will not count toward the new certification cycle.
  • If the member has a current associate membership at the time of reinstatement, their membership is upgraded for the remainder of the fiscal year. If a member is not a current associate member at the time of reinstatement, they must pay certified member dues for the fiscal year they are reinstated in.
  • The reinstatement fee is non-refundable.

If certification has lapsed for 6 months or less, you are welcome to request a retroactive cycle extension. To submit this request please complete the application on the Certification Maintenance page.

I lost my certification due to failure to pay membership dues by July 31st… what do I do?2023-04-07T19:57:42+00:00

…reinstatement may be requested via this form. Please note the following policies with regards to a request for reinstatement when certification has been revoked for failure to pay membership dues on time:

  • All reinstatement requests must be submitted via email to
  • The application will not be reviewed before payment is submitted. Upon receipt of completed application with all supporting documentation attached, the Certification Department will email instructions for submitting the payment online through your member portal.
  • Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. The effective reinstatement date will be the date the completed application is received.
  • Reinstatement is handled by the Certification department. For questions, please contact Certification at or 703-838-0030, option 6.
  • The processing time is 7-10 business days for reinstatement requests. (Note that RID’s processing time does not affect the “effective date”, which is the date that all of the requirements for reinstatement are received.)
  • The application must be signed and notarized.
  • Certifications can only be reinstated for a period of up to 24 months from the date of revocation.
  • There is no cap on availability of reinstatement, however reinstatement will not be awarded consecutively (two years in a row).
  • Reinstatement of certification will result in the member’s certification cycle resuming. CEUs earned as a requirement for member’s reinstatement will not count toward the certification cycle, nor will CEUs earned while the member is not currently certified count toward the cycle requirement. If the member is reinstated after the end of their certification cycle, they will be given until the end of the calendar year they are reinstated in to complete their CEU requirements for that cycle.
  • Member must pay lapsed certified dues, plus processing fee to be considered for reinstatement. The processing fee is non-refundable.

How to submit reinstatement requests:


How do I become certified?2023-04-12T16:54:02+00:00
What is the NIC?2023-07-12T19:36:01+00:00

Holders of this certification have demonstrated general knowledge in the field of interpreting, ethical decision making and interpreting skills. Candidates earn NIC Certification if they demonstrate professional knowledge and skills that meet or exceed the minimum professional standards necessary to perform in a broad range of interpretation and transliteration assignments. This credential has been available since  2005.

What is the CDI?2023-07-12T19:35:50+00:00

Holders of this certification are deaf or hard of hearing and have demonstrated knowledge and understanding of interpreting,  deafness, the Deaf community, and Deaf culture. Holders have specialized training and/or experience in the use of gesture, mime, props, drawings and other tools to enhance communication. Holders possess native or near-native fluency in American Sign Language and are recommended for a broad range of assignments where an interpreter who is deaf or hard-of-hearing would be beneficial. This credential has been available since 1998.

What is the CDI certification process?2022-04-21T15:48:45+00:00
  1. Review all pertinent CDI webpages on the CASLI website
  2. Submit an audiogram or letter from audiologist to CASLI
  3. Apply for the CASLI Generalist Knowledge Exam
  4. Pass the Knowledge Exam
  5. Submit proof of meeting the associates’ degree educational requirement to RID (This will become a bachelor’s degree requirement on May 17, 2021)
  6. Apply for the CASLI Deaf Interpreter Performance Exam
  7. Pass the CASLI Deaf Interpreter Performance Exam
What are the CDI Performance Exam educational requirements?2022-04-21T15:51:05+00:00

DI exam candidates wishing to test must have a minimum of an Bachelor’s degree (any major) or an approved updated/2012 Alternative Pathway to Eligibility application recorded in their RID account before testing for any CASLI performance-based exam. This applies to ALL CDI exam candidates, including those who already hold RID certification.

At the 2003 RID National Conference, in Chicago, IL, the membership passed motion C2003.05, establishing degree requirements for RID certification candidates. The motion stated the following related specifically to the CDI Performance Exam: Effective June 30, 2016, Deaf candidates must have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree.

The education requirement is currently a bachelor’s degree or equivalent, effective May 17, 2021.

The CASLI Generalist Performance Exam for Deaf interpreters was released November 16, 2020 therefore the date at which the Associate degree requirement became a Bachelor degree requirement was May 17, 2021.

What is the NIC certification process?2022-04-21T15:51:38+00:00
  1. Review all pertinent NIC webpages on the CASLI website
  2. Apply for the NIC Knowledge Exam
  3. Pass the NIC Knowledge Exam
  4. Submit proof of meeting the educational requirement to RID
  5. Apply for the NIC Interview and Performance Exam
  6. Pass the NIC Interview and Performance Exam
What are the NIC Interview and Performance Exam educational requirements?2022-04-21T15:56:03+00:00

NIC exam candidates wishing to test must have a minimum of a bachelor degree (any major) or an approved updated/2012 Alternative Pathway to Eligibility application recorded in their RID/CASLI Account before testing for any RID performance-based exam. This applies to ALL NIC exam candidates, including those who already hold RID certification.

What is RID’s Alternative Pathway?2023-07-12T19:34:34+00:00

If you do not hold the necessary degree to take your exam, you may apply for the Alternative Pathway.  The Alternative Pathway consists of an Educational Equivalency Application which uses a point system that awards credit for college classes, interpreting experience, and professional development.

Alternative Pathway Educational Requirement Motion2022-04-21T15:58:37+00:00

At the 2003 RID National Conference, in Chicago, IL, the membership passed motion C2003.05, establishing degree requirements for RID certification candidates.

View entire motion

Update regarding the impact of the moratorium on the educational requirements as they relate to Deaf candidates for certification:

The motion stated the following related specifically to the CDI Performance Exam: Effective June 30, 2016, Deaf candidates must have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree. However, due to the moratorium, the RID Board of Directors has determined the following adjustment to the implementation to the CDI Performance Exam Educational Requirements: The moratorium began six (6) months before the implementation of the Bachelor’s degree requirement for the CDI Performance Exam (set to be implemented on July 1, 2016). To allow individuals who do not have a degree a fair opportunity to take this exam before the requirement changes, the RID Board of Directors has determined that six (6) months will be added to any date that is established for ending the moratorium on the CDI Performance Exam. For example, if the new CDI Performance Exam is launched July 1, 2018, individuals will have until January 1, 2019, to meet the BA requirement or alternative pathways to eligibility.

What is the Educational Equivalency Application?2022-04-21T16:08:04+00:00

The Educational Equivalency Application (EEA) is a system that measures a combination of qualifications that can be collectively considered an acceptable substitute for the new educational requirements. The EEA uses a point system that awards credit for college classes, years of interpreting work, and interpreter-related training.

How is equivalency of a degree determined?2022-04-21T16:08:24+00:00

There are three categories in which Experience Credits can be earned. Each Experience Credit is roughly equal to one semester hour of college credit. All Experience Credits earned on the application are totaled and reviewed to determine if the candidate earned 60 Experience Credits for an associate’s degree or 120 credits for a bachelor’s degree.

Is there an application fee for the Educational Equivalency Application?2022-04-21T16:08:41+00:00

Yes, each application has a $50 non-refundable processing fee. This fee is to help offset the intensive administrative work required to evaluate and process the application.

Do I have to have a minimum number of Experience Credits in any one category?2022-04-21T16:08:56+00:00

No, it is possible that a candidate may be able to meet the minimum number of Experience Credits in only one category. For example, a candidate who has over 120 hours of college credits, but has not received a formal degree, would be deemed to have the equivalent experience of a bachelor’s degree based on their college experience alone. Additionally, someone who has interpreted on a full-time basis for 4 years meets the educational equivalency of an associate’s degree for the purposes of RID’s educational requirement.

I have way more than the required number of Experience Credits, should I submit all my documentation for every single category?2022-04-21T16:09:32+00:00

No, earning more than the required number Experience Credits will be documented the same as if you earned strictly the required number of Experience Credits. By submitting the least amount of paperwork to get you to the required Experience Credits it will be less work for you and can be processed faster by RID.

I have taken classes at more than one college. Should I submit transcripts for each college?2022-04-21T16:09:54+00:00

Yes, you must submit an official academic transcript for each credit that you wish to count toward the Educational Equivalency Application. Experience Credits cannot be earned for undocumented coursework.

My school is mailing my academic transcript directly to RID. Can I send documents separately?2022-04-21T16:10:07+00:00

No, send only completed applications with full documentation. You are welcome to have your official academic transcript sent to your home address and after opening the official transcript from the envelope, send us the original or a scanned copy along with your complete application.

What is the difference between semester hours and quarter hours?2022-04-21T16:10:23+00:00

Most college and university schedules are built on either a semester or quarter hour system. If your classes met for 15 weeks, your college was probably based on a semester hour schedule. If your classes met for only 12 weeks, your college was probably based on a quarter hour schedule. Because of the difference in contact hours between these systems, semester hour classes earn slightly more Experience Credits than quarter hour classes.

Are college credits accepted from any institution?2022-04-21T16:10:38+00:00

College credits will be accepted if they are received on an official academic transcript and are from an accredited institution.

How do I calculate my experience as an interpreter?2022-04-21T16:10:54+00:00

For each year that you have worked as an interpreter, you must determine if you worked for a single employer or multiple employers. Additionally, you must determine if you worked on a part-time or full time basis. Once you have determined the number of years you have worked, enter those numbers in the appropriate field on the form and calculate your Experience Credits.

What information must be provided on my Interpreting Experience letter?2022-04-21T16:11:09+00:00

To apply credit towards Interpreting Experience the provided letter must state 1) that you worked as an interpreter, 2) how many years you have worked and 3) how many hours a week you have worked.

What is the difference between “Single Employer” and “Multiple Employers/Freelance Interpreting?”2022-04-21T16:11:23+00:00

“Single Employer” is for contracted/staff employees. “Multiple Employers/Freelance Interpreting” is for individuals working for multiple agencies and or working as a self employed Freelance Interpreter. When possible please provide proof by submitting a letter from the employer. Freelance Interpreters may submit a notarized letter.

What is the company I used to work for is no longer active? How do I get a letter from them?2022-04-21T16:11:39+00:00

If you are unable to obtain a letter from the employer you may submit a notarized letter stating 1) that you worked as an interpreter, 2) how many years you have worked and 3) how many hours a week you have worked.

Is there a place on this application for experience as a CODA?2022-04-21T16:11:56+00:00

While having Deaf parents undoubtedly helps to develop some interpreting skills, the Alternative Pathway is designed to assess experience gained through formal education and professional experience. CODAs will have the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities through RID’s exams, but no specific credit is given on the Alternative Pathway.

Can my Educational Equivalency Application be reviewed before I provide payment?2022-04-21T16:12:10+00:00

No, the $50 processing fee must be submitted with the application. If you choose to submit the application without payment it will not be reviewed until payment has been confirmed.

If I submit my application without payment and/or it does not meet the required Experience Credits, how long will it be held for?2022-04-21T16:12:26+00:00

Incomplete applications will be held for 60 days. After that time they will be discarded and a new and complete application will need to be submitted.

If I am approved for Educational Equivalency, what are the next steps?2022-04-21T16:12:40+00:00

Your next step will depend on where you are in the processes of certification. For more information on this please review the appropriate Candidate Handbook which you can find at

If I am disapproved, how soon can I apply for Educational Equivalency again?2022-04-21T16:12:53+00:00

You are welcome to apply for the Educational Equivalency as often as you wish. However, each application must include a $50 non-refundable application fee.

Where is my Newly Certified packet?2022-04-21T16:28:42+00:00

You can expect to receive a Newly Certified Packet from RID approximately 6-8 weeks after your passing performance exam and your results letter was sent. This packet will include your certificate and a congratulations letter. You should also receive an email when your new certification is added to your RID account with information about maintaining certification.

Note: you may begin earning CEUs for your new certification cycle any time on or after your certification start date.

How do I get a duplicate certificate?2022-04-21T16:29:09+00:00

In the event that your certificate arrives damaged, with incorrect spelling or information, or does not arrive at all (three weeks after being mailed), the certificate will be replaced once free of charge. This replacement request should be submitted in writing to

In the event that you lose your certificate, need a replacement certificate, want the name on the certificate updated due to a legal name change, or would simply like a duplicate certificate, you may purchase one on the RID website. Replacement certificates are processed once a month.

What are the licensure/certification rules in my state?2023-07-12T20:00:29+00:00

Currently, there is no federal requirement for certification. Instead, each state sets its own standards, sometimes through laws and regulations, for interpreter qualifications. We have a state-by-state summary of regulations that can help you determine what the requirements are in your state.

How do I display my credential?2022-04-21T16:29:33+00:00

One of the privileges of achieving RID certification is the ability to show your credential on your business card, resume, brochures or other advertisements, etc. Your credentials (also called “post-nomial abbreviations”) should be displayed only after your full name (with or without middle initial) in the following order:

Given names (Jr., II, etc.)
Academic degrees from highest level to lowest level above a bachelor degree (bachelor degree credentials are not typically displayed)
State licensure credentials
Professional certifications (such as RID credentials)
Certificants who hold more than one RID certification should display them in the following order: IC, TC, IC/TC, CSC, MCSC, RSC, OIC:V/S, OIC:S/V, OIC:C, CI, CT, CI and CT, CDI, NIC, NIC Advanced, NIC Master, OTC, SC:PA, SC:L, NAD III, NAD IV, NAD V, Ed:K-12.

Here are a few examples of displaying the RID credentials:
Jane L. Doe, MS, CDI, CLIP-R
John Doe, Jr., QAST, CI and CT, Ed:K-12
Jane Lynn Doe, PhD, NIC, SC:L, NAD IV

How do I get a Certified membership?2023-10-16T17:25:50+00:00

Maintaining current RID membership is a requirement for maintaining RID certification. If you are a current Associate Member at the time you achieve certification, your membership will automatically be converted into a Certified Membership. If you are not an Associate or Certified member at the time you achieve certification, you need to pay Certified Member dues to bring your membership into good standing. For more information, contact the Member Services Department at 571-384-5163.

Keep in mind:Membership runs from July 1 through June 30 and is paid for annually.There is no extra charge for holding more than one RID certification or for holding specialty certification. Those who hold NAD certification must also keep their NAD certification dues in good standing with RID.


Answered questions for your professional development.

Certification Maintenance Program

How many CEUs do I need to maintain my certification?2022-04-21T15:30:52+00:00

To maintain your certification, you need to earn a total of 8.0 CEUs (80 contact hours) with a minimum of 6.0 in Professional Studies (PS) within each certification cycle (4 years).

Is there a requirement to earn General Studies (GS) CEUs?2022-04-21T15:30:44+00:00

There is no requirement to earn General Studies (GS) CEUs. Please remember that if GS CEUs are earned only a maximum of 2.0 CEUs will be counted towards your total.

Am I able to earn all my CEUs in Professional Studies (PS)?2022-04-21T15:30:39+00:00

Yes, you may earn all of the CEUs required (8.0) in Professional Studies (PS).

I have earned over 8.0 CEUs for my certification cycle; will the extra CEUs that I have earned roll over to my next certification cycle?2022-04-21T15:30:31+00:00

No. CEUs must be earned within your cycle begin and end dates to count towards maintaining your certification for that cycle. CEUs beyond the 8.0 required will not roll over into your next certification cycle.

How do I find out when my certification cycle ends?2022-04-21T15:30:24+00:00

This information can be found by logging into your RID member portal where the certification cycle start and end date will be listed above the CEU table.

My member ID card has an expiration date of June 30th, is this when my certification cycle will expire?2023-07-12T19:56:02+00:00

Membership cycles run on the fiscal year, which ends on June 30th. Certification cycles run on the calendar year, which ends on December 31st. Your certification cycle does not expire when your membership expires, however, part of maintaining your certification is maintaining membership.

Please note that RID no longer prints and provides physical membership cards. Please visit this page for more information:

Is there a renewal fee once my certification cycle expires?2022-04-21T15:30:12+00:00

There is no renewal fee for your certification. Be sure that your membership is up to date to avoid revocation.

My certification cycle ends at the end of the year and I have completed all of my CEUs, what do I do next?2022-04-21T15:30:06+00:00

There is nothing more that you need to do. Your new certification cycle will be added shortly after the new year begins.

I am late paying my member dues, will my certification be revoked?2022-04-21T15:30:01+00:00

Membership dues are due June 30th. Certified members are given a one-month grace period to renew, and can do so without penalty by July 31st. If your dues are not paid by July 31st, your certification(s) will be revoked on August 1st.


CEU questions and answers for RID members.

Continuing Education Units

I have completed academic coursework, am I able to earn CEUs for my classes?2023-07-12T19:54:54+00:00

Yes. You will need to contact an RID approved sponsor to process the paperwork. (Academic Coursework).

There is an activity I would like to complete that does not already offer RID CEUs. How do I get this activity approved for RID CEUs?2024-04-17T20:28:27+00:00

Locate a sponsor by using the search tool, contact the sponsor (they do not need to be specific to your area) and complete the paperwork the sponsor provides you with.

How long does it take for CEUs to appear on my CEU transcript?2022-04-21T15:29:28+00:00

Sponsors have up to 60 days to process CEUs and add the workshop to your transcript.

It has been more than 60 days and the CEUs do not appear on my transcript, what do I do?2023-07-12T19:38:14+00:00

Complete and submit a CEU discrepancy report. Be sure to attach the certificate of completion for the activity.

When can I begin earning CEUs to fulfill the CMP requirements?2022-04-21T15:28:40+00:00

You can begin earning CEUs any time on or after your results sent date which can be found by logging into your member portal and clicking “View Your Exam History” or on or after your cycle begin date.

How do I locate an RID approved sponsor?2022-04-21T15:28:34+00:00

You can locate an RID approved sponsor by using the CMP/ACET Sponsor search directory. The sponsor does not have to be in the state that you work or reside in.

I can’t see the CEU’s from my last (or previous) cycles?2023-07-12T19:37:24+00:00

Only CEUs from your current certification cycle will be visible on your CEU transcript. To view previous workshops click “View Your Education History” located on the left hand side of the screen of the member portal. When adjusting the dates to view previous CEU activities, type the start and end dates or use the drop down calendar feature to select both a year and a day. If you need an official copy of your CEU transcript, please click here to fill out a CEU transcript request form.

I’m a Student member, how do I find my official CEU transcript?2023-04-07T20:02:34+00:00

CEUs are only tracked for Certified and Associate members. Student members do not have access to an official CEU transcript.

My state requires that I provide an official CEU transcript of my previous workshops. How can I obtain a copy of my official CEU transcript of my previous workshops?2023-07-12T19:36:54+00:00

Ethics FAQs.

Answers to complaints, policy, procedures and more.

Ethics and EPS Questions

How does the Ethical Practices System (EPS) differ from the NAD-RID Code of Professional Conduct (CPC)?2023-10-10T18:11:43+00:00

The Code of Professional Conduct is a holistic guide for interpreting professionals in their actions, ethical decisions and behaviors related to their work as interpreters. The CPC outlines the baseline of professional standards expected of professional interpreters. The Ethical Practice System is the policy and procedures complementary to the CPC. The EPS clearly defines specific behaviors prohibited under said policies and outlines the procedure for grievances against those violating that policy. The EPS is a grievance system by which stakeholders can report unethical or unprofessional behaviors. Filing a complaint against an interpreter will prompt RID to investigate said behaviors. The EPS is a mechanism by which RID holds bad actors accountable for violating the NAD-RID CPC and EPS policies.

What if I have an ethical dilemma?2023-04-12T17:00:38+00:00

If you have questions regarding an ethical dilemma, first consult the NAD-RID Code of Professional Conduct and the RID Standard Practice Papers. While RID Headquarters staff and/or the Ethics Committee may not be able to resolve ethical questions directly, they can provide you with materials which may assist you or refer you to individuals or agencies who may be able to advise you. We ask that you be open to communicating with a mentor or trusted colleague.

What do I do if I’ve been subpoenaed to testify about something I interpreted? How does Tenet 1 (Confidentiality) apply to this situation?2023-04-12T20:07:46+00:00

These resources address subpoenas and testifying in court:

If I file an ethics complaint, how long will the process take?2023-07-12T20:07:07+00:00

It depends on the complexity of the case. The primary focus is to do a thorough investigation so the results can be fair and neutral. So RID is not able to give a firm timeline for the EPS process.

What if the interpreter is not a member of RID?2023-07-12T20:06:24+00:00

If an interpreter is not a member of RID, you cannot file a complaint against them through RID’s EPS. You may want to discuss the problem with the interpreter, and if that is not successful, consider talking to the employing entity that contracted or arranged for the interpreting service.

What if I need to file a complaint against an interpreting service agency?2022-04-11T18:56:39+00:00

The jurisdiction of the RID EPS covers individual interpreters who are required to adhere to the NAD-RID Code of Professional Conduct (CPC) while interpreting. NAD and RID do not regulate the business practices of service providers. However, starting in 2013, NAD and RID formed a joint task force to look into this situation. The Reputable Agency Task Force is charged with recommending solutions to addressing ethical practices of businesses.

Who can I contact at RID Headquarters about ethical matters?2023-07-12T20:04:47+00:00

If, after looking through the EPS Policy Manual, the NAD-RID Code of Professional Conduct, and the Official Complaint Form, you still have unanswered questions, please contact the Ethical Practices System Department at or 571-384-5849 (VP).

Do I still need to follow the NAD-RID CPC?2023-10-10T18:12:53+00:00

Yes. The CPC is foundational to the interpreting profession. All RID members are expected to read, understand and comply with the CPC.

Why were these changes made?2023-10-10T18:13:33+00:00

As with any profession, best practices dictate that an organization intermittently revisits its policies and procedures to keep up with industry standards, consider the needs of our consumers, and review the trends within the profession. RID has a legal and ethical obligation to ensure that our EPS protects the integrity of RID certification, foster accountability and integrity among professional practitioners and ultimately protect our consumers. RID worked with a legal consultant who is a leader in the field of grievance systems and with a group of Subject Matter Experts and leading thinkers, practitioners, and educators within our field to review and make recommendations to revisit the scope of and enhance the efficiency of our EPS in accordance to the needs of our consumers and members. The organization is obligated to protect our members and consumers, and the changes made to the EPS will achieve this goal. Additionally, these changes were made to align with RID’s goal of applying for accreditation by the National Commission of Certifying Agencies.

Were members involved with discussions or part of these deliberations before these changes were made?2023-10-10T18:14:18+00:00

The RID EPS department and Ethics Committee conducted no fewer than four town halls and two conference presentations to solicit feedback from RID members and members of the Deaf community on their experiences with the EPS and to solicit recommendations for improvement. The Ethics Committee and RID’s EPS department collected surveys, conducted interviews, met regularly with members of the Ethics Committee and conducted research and sought out various approaches for consideration in our EPS, including a Restorative Justice approach. Additionally, RID consulted with one of the leading legal experts to assist us in writing a robust and clear grievance policy that will protect our certification and our consumers. We also worked with a diverse group of experts in the field of interpreting. Perspectives from the information we collected from members and consumers from the town halls, along with our consultant, the EPS workgroup, and RID Headquarters Staff who manage our EPS department, were all considered during the development of the new EPS. Therefore multiple perspectives and members’ and grievance-filers’ experiences were carefully considered and incorporated during the reform process.

Who was in the workgroup? How were the workgroup members’ selections made?2023-10-10T18:14:53+00:00

The EPS Reform Workgroup comprises Subject Matter Experts in the interpreting profession, community members and consumers of interpreting services. We brought together a diverse group of people from varying geographic locations, areas of practice, backgrounds and experiences in working with interpreters and consumers. This workgroup is not responsible for overseeing the EPS, only for developing the policies and procedures in accordance with the best interest of our members and community and with industry best practices. The work group was recruited based on specific knowledge, abilities, and experience they were able to contribute to this process. The EPS Reform Workgroup has a defined scope of work reviewed and approved by the Board of Directors.

How do I know these changes actually comply with industry and legal standards?2023-10-10T18:18:11+00:00

RID worked with a legal consultant specializing in developing policies and procedures for trust professions (i.e., nursing, social work). While our legal consultant provided the framework for our grievance system, our work group and SMES tailored it to the specific needs of our profession. The new EPS is modeled after codes of professional accountability and integrity and on grievance procedures found in the policies and standards of many other trust professions.

Interpreting is a unique profession. How did the EPS Reform Workgroup determine what standards apply to our profession?2023-10-10T18:22:26+00:00

Accountability and integrity are critical and relevant to any service provider in any trust profession. The same shared practices and standards expected of trust professions also apply to the field. RID’s workgroup and legal counsel carefully looked at these to ensure the appropriateness of incorporating such standards.

Are members able to vote on the EPS changes?2023-10-10T18:23:12+00:00

No. Changes to any policies and procedures by which RID operates are under the purview of the Board of Directors, who RID members elected. This process helps ensure a smooth governance process and adherence to industry and legal standards, including preventing conflict of interest issues. 

The Board of Directors are interpreters themselves. Isn’t it a conflict of interest for them to set policies like the EPS policy?2023-10-10T18:23:43+00:00

The Board of Directors have legal obligations and fiduciary responsibilities to RID to ensure their policies are in the organization’s best interest. There are no such restrictions on those who are not on the organization’s Board of Directors.

When does the revised EPS policy take effect?2023-04-18T15:19:05+00:00

These changes will be in effect, via attestation of receipt, at each RID membership renewal juncture and be effective immediately. Also, it is effective immediately for individuals who apply for certification through RID or apply or take CASLI examinations.

What about old complaints? Can I refile if I am not satisfied with the previous outcome?2023-10-10T18:25:19+00:00

The EPS will not review old complaints that were adjudicated, resolved through mediation agreement or if the EPS determined the complaint did not have merit. However, if you previously submitted a complaint that did not meet the old system’s criteria and believe it may meet those under the revised policy, please contact the EPS staff. If you are the respondent in a current complaint, the EPS will reach out to you regarding your case.

What’s the process for filing a complaint?2023-10-10T18:25:58+00:00

Please see here for the English version:

The ASL version will be released soon, along with an ASL version of the new EPS policy. 

Can non-member interpreters be held accountable for NAD-RID CPC violations?2023-10-10T18:26:32+00:00

RID will accept and retain complaints against non-members in case the individual applies for membership then RID will make their determination when applicable. RID will be working to develop reciprocal agreements with states who have licensure laws to inform these states about complaints against both members and non-members. 

How do you define harm?2023-10-10T18:27:00+00:00

As mentioned in the policy, the EPS defines harm as: “Any action during interpreting encounters or professional-related activities that negatively impacts the consumer and/or interpreting professionals and/or damages the integrity of the profession; any action rooted in audism, ableism, racism, anti-blackness, classism, sexism, xenophobia, and the like. These actions can be intentional or unintentional, perceived or real.”

I never set out to cause harm, yet I may be punished for what others thought was harmful. Interpreting is a complex profession, and this definition of harm is unfair. Why is this happening?2023-10-10T18:27:32+00:00

As a trust profession, all of us must consider the impact of our actions, act with integrity and hold ourselves accountable. One may mean well, but the impact of their actions may be adverse. With that said, those overseeing the EPS are trained to thoroughly screen and investigate complaints so that the results will be fair and neutral.

How do I know I’m complying with the NAD-RID CPC?2023-10-10T18:28:05+00:00

Aside from studying the CPC and participating in continuing education on ethics, it’s important to recognize that accountability and integrity are foundational to the CPC and EPS. Below are three definitions from the revised EPS policy that may help answer your question.

Integrity is defined as “Behaviors that demonstrate trustworthiness, honesty, respect, authentic self-reflection taking into account the intent and impact of the practitioner’s actions, willingness to be held accountable by consumers and colleagues, and uphold professional standards before, during, and after interpreting encounters and professional-related activities.”   

Accountability is defined as: “An interpreting professional’s disposition and behaviors that demonstrate a willingness to be responsible for their actions, be answerable to consumers, their colleagues and RID and to report, explain or give response to any action that is called into question as causing or perpetuating harm to the consumer or the interpreting profession.”

Continuous compliance is defined as: “Conduct demonstrated while actively interpreting, representing oneself as an interpreter in professionally constructed spaces both in person and in digital spaces, as well as promoting the appearance of oneself as an agent of the profession.” 

Additionally, please see this section in the EPS policy that lists prohibited actions. Note: the listed prohibited activities are not exhaustive. 

Do the EPS and NAD-RID CPC cover online activities?2023-10-10T18:28:46+00:00

The EPS policy defines online professional space as a space where interpreting-related business is conducted (e.g., solicitation of interpreting services), interpreting-related content is shared, or where the majority of participants are interpreting professionals engaging in interpreting-related discussions. This space includes spaces where interpreting professionals and/or their work products and/or actions taken during their interpreting duties are posted, shared, or discussed and may be face-to-face or virtual.

The revised EPS policy violates my personal freedom. Why does the new EPS policy cover instances where I am not actively interpreting?2023-10-10T18:29:23+00:00

As professionals in a trust profession, what we say and do within any interpreter-related activity or discussion could have a tremendous and far-reaching impact on our consumers, especially those who are members of marginalized and oppressed communities. Our consumers deserve professionalism, accountability and integrity in all aspects from sign language interpreters.

What if I disagree with RID’s position on racism, ableism, audism, sexism, homophobia, and so forth?2023-10-10T18:30:43+00:00

The EPS holds interpreters accountable for unprofessional or unethical actions and behaviors. As members of a trust profession, our actions and speech have a tremendous and far-reaching impact on our associates, consumers and colleagues who are members of marginalized and oppressed communities. To allow unethical or unprofessional behaviors to continue without holding our members accountable impinge on the provision of equal, effective communication that our consumers deserve and are an enormous disservice to our colleagues, students, and associates within the profession.

I am taking a test from CASLI and am not certified yet. Do the NAD-RID CPC and EPS apply to me?2023-10-10T18:31:14+00:00

Yes. Per the revised EPS policy, all RID members, certificate holders and CASLI candidates are subject to professional standards under this policy. This policy ensures compliance with the CPC, EPS, objectivity, and fundamental fairness to all persons who may be parties in a complaint of professional misconduct.

What kind of consequences could happen against me if I’m found guilty of violating the NAD-RID CPC or the new EPS Policy?2023-10-10T18:31:49+00:00

As outlined in the revised EPS policy, these consequences may include, but are not limited to:

  • the assignment of remedial education, 
  • non-public or public reprimand and warning, 
  • suspension and/or revocation of RID membership or eligibility for RID membership,
  • suspension and/or revocation of certification or eligibility for RID certification or other disciplinary action as determined at the discretion of RID.  

Additionally, disciplinary actions may be reported to any state licensing authority, the federal government, the certificant’s employer, and other interested parties, including individuals seeking information about the certificant’s credentials, in accordance with procedures outlined in the EPS policy.

The EPS policy represents some, though not necessarily all, of the behaviors that may trigger review under RID’s EPS. RID retains the right to take disciplinary action under this policy even if the certificant’s membership expires or the certificant retires from practice, provided that the violation triggering the disciplinary proceeding occurred when the candidate or certificant was certified, seeking certification, or applying for or holding any other RID credentials.

As an interpreter, if I see a colleague violating the NAD-RID CPC, or the new EPS policy, can I file a complaint against them?2023-10-10T18:32:25+00:00

Yes. That is one of RID’s changes to the EPS, so third parties who witness potential CPC or EPS violations, can file complaints. This change helps to ensure the accountability and integrity of the profession.

How long does the EPS process take, from complaint to resolution?2023-10-10T18:33:01+00:00

It depends on the complexity of the case. The primary focus is to do a thorough investigation so the results can be fair and neutral. So RID is not able to give a firm timeline for the EPS process.

Who can file a complaint?2024-04-10T15:56:48+00:00

Anyone directly involved or a witness to the potential CPC violation or EPS Policy infraction may file a complaint with RID’s EPS.

What do I do if I am unsure if my complaint falls within the purview of the EPS?2024-04-10T15:57:01+00:00

You can still file a complaint with RID’s EPS, and we will inform you if it does or does not.

Does the EPS still publish a list of people who have violated the NAD-RID CPC?2023-10-10T18:34:45+00:00

Yes, the EPS still publishes a list of individuals who have violated the CPC. The list can be found here:

Isn’t the criminal convictions self-disclosure racist and cause harm to marginalized groups?2023-10-10T18:53:11+00:00

RID recognizes that the United States judicial system has severe problems with racism. The organization will carefully examine each self-disclosure and determine whether the conviction indicates a risk for vulnerable populations who may interact with the interpreter with criminal convictions.

Isn’t the criminal convictions self-disclosure an invasion of my privacy?2023-10-10T18:53:23+00:00

No. The majority of criminal convictions are a matter of public record. That said, the self-disclosure information is securely retained in our CRM, which is only available to EPS staff. 

If the criminal convictions are a matter of public record, why doesn’t RID investigate each member for it?2023-10-10T18:53:29+00:00

In the spirit of accountability and integrity, it is better for the member to self-disclose. If the member does not self-disclose, they do not demonstrate self-accountability or integrity. RID will investigate reports of interpreters with criminal convictions who may present a risk to vulnerable populations.

If I know of a RID member who has a criminal conviction and may present a risk to vulnerable populations, and they are actively interpreting in the field, can I report them to EPS?2023-10-10T18:53:38+00:00

Yes, you may report them to RID’s EPS, and RID will investigate.

Deaf and Accessibility Resources FAQs.

Answers to much needed resources for DHHDB community and those needing information.

Deaf and Accessibility Resources Questions

Where can I find information on the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)?2023-04-11T17:02:39+00:00

ADA Home Page – Contains information and helpful resources pertaining to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

ADA Tax Incentives Packet – Information from the U.S. Department of Justice about the ADA and tax benefits for small and large businesses, as well as IRS information.

What is CART and are there any CART Services (Communication Access Realtime Translation) available?2023-04-12T17:06:12+00:00

Communication Access Information Center – Sponsored by the National Court Reporters Association, this site has general information about CART, how to find a provider and what to expect. In addition, the site discusses different setting where CART is used.

Are there any Deaf/Hard-of-Hearing Associations?2023-04-11T17:01:25+00:00

American Association of the Deaf-Blind – AADB is a national consumer organization of, by and for deaf-blind Americans and their supporters. Deaf-blind includes all types and degrees of dual vision and hearing loss.

Coalition of Organizations for Accessible Technology – COAT is a coalition of over 300 national, regional, state, and community-based disability organizations, including RID. COAT advocates for legislative and regulatory safeguards that will ensure full access by people with disabilities to evolving high speed broadband, wireless and other Internet Protocol (IP) technologies.

National Association of the Deaf – NAD’s mission is to promote, protect and preserve the rights and quality of life of deaf and hard of hearing individuals in the United States of America.

National Association of State Agencies of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing – NASADHH functions as the national voice of state agencies serving Deaf and Hard of Hearing people and promote the implementation of best practices in the provision of services.

Intertribal Deaf Council – IDC is a non-profit organization of Deaf and Hard of Hearing American Indians whose goals are similar to many Native American organizations. IDC promotes the interests of its members by fostering and enhancing their cultural, historical and linguistic tribal traditions.

National Asian Deaf Congress – The NADC provides cultural awareness and advocacy for the interests of the Asian Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community.

National Black Deaf Advocates – NBDA’s mission is to promote leadership development, economic and educational opportunities, social equality, and to safeguard the general health and welfare of Black deaf and hard of hearing people.

World Federation of the Deaf – WFD is an international non-governmental organization representing approximately 70 million deaf people worldwide. Most important among WFD priorities are deaf people in developing countries; the right to sign language; and equal opportunity in all spheres of life, including access to education and information.

Are there any Disability Advocacy Associations?2023-04-11T17:01:12+00:00

National Disability Rights Network – NDRN is the nonprofit membership organization for the federally mandated Protection and Advocacy (P&A) Systems and Client Assistance Programs (CAP) for individuals with disabilities. Collectively, the P&A/CAP network is the largest provider of legally based advocacy services to people with disabilities in the United States.

Disabled People’s Association – Singapore – DPA is a non-profit, cross-disability organization whose mission is to be the voice of people with disabilities, helping them achieve full participation and equal status in the society through independent living.

Where can I find information and resources on Deafness?2023-04-12T17:10:20+00:00

ADA Hospitality: A Guide to Planning Accessible Meetings – The Mid-Atlantic ADA Center and TransCen, Inc. sponsored the publication in recognition of the 25th anniversary of the transformational Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Helping you navigate, plan, and create accessible meetings, events, and conferences that serve all your guests’ needs.

Described and Captioned Media Program – The DCMP’s mission is to provide all persons who are deaf or hard of hearing awareness of and equal access to communication and learning through the use of captioned educational media and supportive collateral materials. The DCMP also acts as a captioning information and training center.

National Deaf Education Center – The Laurent Clerc National Deaf Education Center provides a variety of information and resources on deafness.

National Domestic Violence Hotline – Resources and help for deaf, deaf-blind or hard of hearing women trying to leave abusive relationships.

National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders – One of the National Institutes of Health, the NIDCD works to improve the lives of people who have communication disorders. This website focuses on medical information and research.

Services for deaf and deaf-blind women – ADWAS provides comprehensive services to Deaf and Deaf-Blind victims/survivors of sexual assault, domestic violence, and stalking. ADWAS believes that violence is a learned behavior and envisions a world where violence is not tolerated.

Addiction Treatment for Individuals Deaf and Blind – Addiction can be a harrowing experience for anyone. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing, blind, or visually impaired can especially find this experience daunting, as they’re faced with not only overcoming an addiction, but attempting to find a treatment program that recognizes and respects their unique challenges.

Archdiocese of Washington-Center for Deaf Ministry – Interpreters who work in Catholic churches will be interpreting a very different liturgy coming in Advent of this year. The language used will be much more of a challenge to interpret. The National Catholic Office of the Deaf has provided this resource.

Can’t find the answer you’re looking for? Please view our live FAQ document with additional questions and answers!